If your house has a gas furnace, it’s important you follow safety guidelines to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and limit the potential for fires.
- Make certain the area around your furnace is clean. Natural gas is highly flammable so be certain to vacuum and/or sweep around the furnace to remove lint, saw dust, dirt and other flammable items from the area surrounding the furnace.
- Cordon off the furnace from young children. Young children may inadvertently place flammable items, toys, blankets, pillows, etc. near the furnace.
- Clean your filter. A clean filter ensures your furnace runs efficiently and safely.
- Remove snow and ice from the intake and outtake vents. If these vents are blocked, carbon monoxide could build up in your home.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector close to the furnace. Also make certain you have detectors installed on all floors of your home and near bedrooms.